An elegant sufficiency

Sunday, January 29, 2006

Secret Knitting

My aim to create something yesterday was achieved in a couple of hours of "secret knitting". Daniela Johannsenova produces a podcast called SecretKnitting and having listened to a couple, I fancied giving it a go. Daniela talks her listeners through a project, and by following her directions, I knitted this week's project: a flower. I should add that I had no idea what the end result ought to look like - Daniela doesn't post a photograph of the project until a week or so after the programme - that's the "Secret Knitting" bit.

I was quite pleased with the result - though I did need three or four false starts before I got to grips with the terminology! Daniela also suggested pressing each petal (she calls them leaves) but I chose not to as I thought the curly nature of the knitting made for a more lively end result.
Yarn used is a viscose-linen mix, "Filati di Gianni Versace", which has a nice crunchy texture, a bit of a shine and was an absolute pig to knit. Thank goodness I was not working on a larger project! I bought the ball as an oddment some time ago and will now put it with my embroidery yarns and not think of knitting with it again.

3 Comments:

  • I love the flower. You could make more of these and use them in your textile work?

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 6:50 pm  

  • I'm impressed - how can you knit something just by listening? It gives a new dimension to this - you are forced to use different skills to do it!

    Did everyones turn out the same ????

    Sara

    By Blogger Zaz, at 7:44 pm  

  • Love the flower Gill, is it better to listen to knitting instructions rather than read them? Helen

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home