An elegant sufficiency

Friday, July 14, 2006

Dyeing for colour


Heaven knows what a child's insides look like after they've drunk this stuff, but I'm more than happy with the results of my test-run Kool-Aid dyeing this afternoon. I followed the knitty.com recipe and concentrated on the primary focus - the samples of wool felt I have. Of course, I couldn't throw away some perfectly good dye liquor, so I dumped a few odds and ends of threads in. The wool works perfectly, the cotton not so - the three pink samples above are all cotton/rayon embroidery threads, but will tone with the wool felt on the little project I have planned. This test run used "Tropical Punch" flavour.

I have a collection of every Kool-Aid available in Manhattan, (thanks Jordi!) and some extras from California (thanks Mary!) I even have some "invisible" flavour, which I confess to buying myself. Not the brightest choice when I thought of it. I will soon have my hands on several yards of the wool felt, which is destined to be dyed in every colour and samples shared amongst friends in a bit-of-a-swap we've planned. Watch this space for the results.

Incidentally, half way through the microwave process, Edward wandered in, attracted by the sickly sweet fruit-drop scents which were wafting through the house. Once he found out the cause, he was appalled, but I think there was the tiniest hint of disappointment that something edible was not going to appear on the kitchen table this afternoon!
 Posted by Picasa

4 Comments:

  • Just let me know if you need more ;-) I did avoid the invisible, but I wonder if it would become visible on wool? Or change the quality of another color somehow....since I have not done a thing with my KoolAid I am glad you did! That is a great array of colors.
    My sewing machine has entered the doctor's office. When you turn it on, nothing happens. Guess that means it doesn't work? Might be an option to buy one that self threads, but mine does an amazing array of stitches ...if it worked, that is.
    more KoolAid dyeing please so I know what colors to use when I do it.

    By Blogger jordi , at 4:29 pm  

  • Lovely colours, Gill! I've got some sitting on my shelves that someone sent me ages ago... did you have to prewash your wool?

    By Blogger Liz Plummer, at 4:37 pm  

  • I'd heard of this Kool-Aid, Gill. Now I know it works too. The things we do for our art! As Cherry said, 'people drink it'.

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 7:33 pm  

  • Love the colours. Did you use vinegar - or salt. Some recipes do but I can't see the need. Kool-Aid is available in the UK now from koolaiduk.com. I've got some and can't wait to try it.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home