An elegant sufficiency

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

It's a wrap - eventually


I was prepared. I had seven bags full of samples, materials and enough ideas I thought.





But perhaps I wasn't quite prepared for the close encounter which was scheduled for this afternoon. I imagined one man and a digital video camera...I got a whole film crew, just back from filming my favourite Thursday evening fashion progamme. I felt very small, very inexperienced and rather lonely at times.





Though I'd got everything together and am normally confident of my ability to get on and do things, faced with all of this, even sewing a button on becomes challenging.





The best bits were when I could stand back and let them get on with it.




The worst bits were when, at the fifteenth attempt, I was asked to speak in a more lively manner.


And to hold my embroidery frame just so, to keep it in focus.


And to remember what we'd agreed I'd say.


And to keep the thread visible and not allow the loose fabric to catch as I turn the frame over to show the reverse.


And to make sure that I hold the end with my thumb as I said and not use my finger (as I did).


And not to hold it so my hand created a huge shadow over the stitch.


And to relax.


And smile.


And look as though I was enjoying myself.


And when I'd done all of that and finally been able to start a thread without a knot, do about two inches of simple running stitch and secure the end...



Could I do it all again, right from the beginning, this time to film from a different angle.



And then again (exactly the same) a third time to film my face and hands. aaaagh!


For one who can't remember what she said just ten seconds ago, this was the biggest challenge. To their credit, the whole film crew were patience personified and did their best to put me at my ease, to suggest ways of getting around a challenging bit and were totally charming and professional throughout.


Here, the lighting engineer and the cameraman try to overcome those pesky shadows in the embroidery shots. I don't really think I convinced them to take up the needle.


But it's over. Done. Wrapped. Most will end up on the cutting room floor, the remainder on a learning channel sometime in the autumn. Watch this space.


(Hah...you think I'm going to TELL you where to find it?!)




Labels: ,

11 Comments:

  • You are very brave Gill. It must have been a very nerve wracking day for you, but well worth it in the end. Good for you!

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 11:12 pm  

  • What a wonderfuk experience.... how will you write it up on your CV Gill :0)
    Well done for getting through it. Cannot wait to see the programme.
    Bestwishes
    Maggie

    By Blogger Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese, at 12:17 am  

  • oops....Sorry .. for the typo.. should read wonderful. (well the L and K are next to each other on the keyboard!)
    Bestwishes
    Maggie

    By Blogger Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese, at 12:18 am  

  • Maggie, I think your typo sums it all up beautifully!! Great Freudian slip!!!

    By Blogger Gill, at 8:36 am  

  • Wow Gill! Where and when will it be broadcast?

    By Blogger Sally Webster, at 8:54 am  

  • Ooh you are mysterious! Looks like fun and I will be scouring the TV pages - unless you come clean soon!!!!
    Thursdays? Gok Wan????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 pm  

  • Can't wait to see the finished result! I'm sure the CST gang will manage to persuade to say where it's to be seen when we meet on Monday.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 3:57 pm  

  • Hi Gill
    Well done. What an experience. I can tell everyone I know a tv star!!!

    By Blogger Julie, at 4:00 pm  

  • Gill
    A star in the making!
    Maggie your typo just apt and wonderful - what a cheer up at the end of the day!
    I expect that you are glad it's all over Gill?
    Will be good to see it
    Jane

    By Blogger Jane G, at 4:04 pm  

  • Oh Gill! You're brave, but it can't have been that bad, after all, you posted it under "fun"!

    And you will tell us where to find it, won't you?

    By Blogger MandellaUK, at 9:15 pm  

  • Wow ! stupendous ! and congratulations. I hope that you are celebrating with a drink.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 1:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home