An elegant sufficiency

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Time to catch up

I seem to have had little to blog about of late, and yet now I sit down to post a couple of photos, I've come across some other small finished things which I haven't mentioned. I think this is the best part of blogging - charting small achievements which would otherwise go unmentioned, forgotten within a few days.
Firstly, I don't think I mentioned the "Wine and Roses" mitts (Interweave Knits Winter 2006), which I decided to knit using the February Posh Yarns Sock Club yarn. I finished one of these and felt underwhelmed by the end result, somehow. Maybe they're not quite my colour, perhaps a smaller needle would have given me a more satisfying finish? Anyway, I did one and left it to one side until my Mum arrived and enthused about it enough to encourage me to complete the pair for her.

There was enough yarn left over to knit a quick "Misty Garden" (Scarf Style) to match, though the colours in the two photographs are so different, you'll just have to take my word for the fact that they do!

What to knit next? Though I am still spooked by Ene (another Scarf Style pattern), I'm umming and aaaahing and cast on a pair of socks instead. When in doubt, cast on socks! I had a great skein of FleeceArtist merino in Cosmic Dawn and started a pair of Pomatomus. Great pattern - but better in a plain or self-coloured yarn rather than this flashy multicolour job! So, after a bit of ripping, a second pair of Jaywalkers is on the needles.

Yes, I can hear Sue saying "but I thought you swore never to knit another pair of those?" The difference is, that this time I'm not trying to do them on two circs!

Other stuff around here: it's a glorious Saturday afternoon, the sun is shining and the birds are singing. We have more frogspawn in pond and anyone would think it was March.

Oh, and I have a new favourite flower in my vase.

"In fairy tales frogs are apt to change into princes and it was an Asian prince in just such a story who gave his name to this flower, which grows naturally in swampy ground. The prince was so good-looking that he was loved by everyone. He also had a beautiful voice but this was his undoing. He loved the open country and sang delightful songs in the presence of nymphs. He did not have the courage to declare his love to them and this haunted him so much that he died. After his death he was changed into the flower with delicate tissuey petals which bears his name." From The Flower and Plant Association website

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

  • Ilove the mitts and scarf. Beautifully done!

    The socks are looking good too, what a gorgeous colourway.

    By Blogger Seahorse, at 3:35 pm  

  • Hey, I'm responding to a post on my blog a while back about my not-soon-enough-for-me trip to Wales. I'm sort of kidding about avoiding Cardiff. I'm actually planning to fly into Cardiff. Anyway, the trip is on my calendar for the last week of May, if everything goes as planned. I would love some advice on what to do or where to go or anything. Or, even someone to take me around to things worth seeing, even a dairy farm like your previous post.

    By Blogger Katy, at 4:29 am  

  • This was worth waiting for Gill. I love the mittens and the story of the flower. I do so agree with you about posting our little achievements. Over the years everything I made went under the worktop and no one ever saw them. I still had the pleasure of making them, but now that I know someone else sees them too, it makes it all more worthwhile.

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 11:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home