An elegant sufficiency

Saturday, December 29, 2007

More fun

We've been up in Hull again and spent last night in the company of the delightful Susoolu . Fortunately, I was the guilty party when it came to choosing and booking somewhere to eat last night, so I can take all the credit for offering an opportunity to enjoy the small idiosyncracies of the place.



"We opened three years ago and used to be a pan-Asian restaurant, but now we serve Global food. Special today is Beef Wellington"



"Do you want wine as well Sir? - give us yer glass then" (at which point wine is poured into a tilted glass held a foot above the table, can-of-lager style)



"The Goan Fish starter is off - would you like to choose something else?" (yes, if you'd bring me a menu)



I don't think the evening convinced my two companions that Hull is anything but the gastronomic desert they believe it to be. Having said that, my Chicken Biryani was pretty awful, Mark tells me his King Prawn Sambal wasn't much better, in spite of the radish content and we can only hope that our guest's "House Curry" was more successful! Next time we'll eat at the Parkway Chippie...





On the way home, conversation included a discussion on the trend for totally tasteless over-decoration of houses for Christmas, at which point we screeched to a halt in front of an inflatable Tigger, drunkenly propped up in front of an illuminated Santa on a motor bike.



Why?



Sadly I couldn't offer any suggestions for Susoolu's latest knitting conundrum, so in awe of the amazing complex cabled yoke was I. All I know is that no way could I bear to take out so much lovely knitting and redo it - I think I'd simply keep it as a pet and take it out to stroke and admire daily!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • Didn't want to say, but the House Curry was mainly flavoured with salt....

    But a memorable evening, and what could be better than seeing an inflatable Tigger.

    And next time, we really should just stick to what Hull does best, a good fish and chips.

    By Blogger susoolu, at 3:51 pm  

  • Oh dear! Definitely sounds like it's fish and chips for you next time.

    Santa on a motorbike. Whatever next? Is Rudolph redundant?

    By Blogger MandellaUK, at 10:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home