An elegant sufficiency

Saturday, March 08, 2008

A new word

I took my usual route this morning, past the School of Art, admiring the black ironwork as I dodged the raindrops.







The exhibition was fairly steady all day - hardly busy but there were usually enough people around to keep spirits up and to make conversation. There were not too many to prevent us from exploring one or two "opportunities" however, and at 2 o'clock, I joined the "Quick Make" workshop to do a Spiral Rope sample. I had played about a bit with this technique before but appreciated the reminder. Best of all was learning a new word - pochle - "the most useful word in a needlewoman's vocabulary", according to the Beadworkers Guild tutor and subsequently discussed at length with our Scots Rural friends.



Got a knot in the beading thread? Then pochle it out a bit and all will be fine. Miss a stitch? A bit of pochling will sort it out...



So, from now on, there'll be no bodging around here. We'll pochle away until it all looks great (even though it might have been fiddled a bit!)



Entertainment of the day came around 3.30pm when this chap came round with the Ewbank. As far as we could tell, he was making very little difference, but as he did our exhibition space too, we didn't complain.




And he withstood the teasing of a few Englishwomen very well, too!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

  • I am keeping that word very safe - I think I will be using it often!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:48 pm  

  • Strictly speaking pochle means something dishonest, like to pochle the takings.........something I'm sure you would never contemplate!

    By Blogger Sally Webster, at 4:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home