An elegant sufficiency

Saturday, February 04, 2006

A Grand Day Out


Had fun today with friend Sue K at the Get Knitted warehouse in Bristol. A good job she knew her way around, for I'd have got hopelessly lost trying to find it, tucked away in an industrial estate.








Who should we see as we stepped inside, but Wendy from ThreadEnds! We'd not met before, but somehow the old magic worked and Sue recognised her instantly - not that the clue of the amazing recycled knitted bag, or the glorious hat and scarf she was wearing didn't help! The place was quite full and at times it was hard to get to the corner that surely contained the very yarn we'd been looking for, but all was good natured and sunny and rather fun.






Sue's haul
We each left with quite a haul...beautiful hand dyes and patterns for lace knitting, plain and dyed alpaca for socks and a "smoke ring", a pair of Lantern Moon needles, Opal sock yarn and some fresh green Debbie Bliss Alpaca silk for the Vogue magazine wrap I mentioned previously.
(I haven't posted a link to the Debbie Bliss site because it's one of those which, once you're there, traps you and doesn't let you go back. Am I the only one who resents that?)


Gill's haul












Sue's suggestion of the re-opened Arnolfini was great for lunch and reminded me that we need to walk around this part of Bristol and have a closer look sometime soon.





The exhibition at the Arnolfini was interesting, though we did draw the line at lying flat on our backs to experience a light show on the ceiling of a darkened room! Last stop was the bookshop, where we admired a copy of Sophie Calle's beautifully bound "Exquisite Pain", the book I first saw whilst in NYC with Jordi last summer. I picked up a flyer for a couple of performances of the work next month and though I am tempted by the idea, I am not sure
I would find it easy viewing.

And yes, I know theatre does not always have to be comfortable or easy!




6 Comments:

  • Well worth waiting for the photos Gill. What an Aladdin's cave for knitters?
    What is a 'smoke ring' please?

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 9:34 am  

  • I've added a link to the Smoke Ring pattern, Margaret - though I really was after a different one - #49

    I that, if I knit it in the alpaca, it will be like wearing a little warm fluffy cloud around my neck!

    By Blogger Gill, at 10:11 am  

  • Thanks Gill. Good photo of the three of you.

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 3:07 pm  

  • Gill - your blog name and link do not appear on your Profile page. so when someone DOES get linked to your profile, they cannot get in to see your blog . !! can you put your blog name to show in the Profile page ?

    By Blogger Unknown, at 10:41 pm  

  • Hi Gill

    Wasn't it great to see "Get Knitted" in the flesh, so to speak? I was there too, but didn't arrive until about 1.00 pm. I'm just glad they're not open every day!

    By Blogger MandellaUK, at 11:08 pm  

  • Yumm, I'm so jealous!! Thank you for the photos. I must get there sometime.

    By the way, if you want your blog listed in the profile you have to click the link about allowing it to be listed in Blogger listings. Someone asked me that once.

    By Blogger Liz Plummer, at 12:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home