An elegant sufficiency

Saturday, May 24, 2008

In the city

Today, I had a meeting in London, so after it had finished I took the opportunity to take a walk up the Kings Road and browse a shop or two. No sooner had I crossed over to take a closer look at a pretty dress or two, than the heavens opened and everyone took refuge inside the appropriately named Monsoon.


I caught the 11 bus to Westminster, hopping off along Victoria Street to walk the last part of the way - I had arranged to meet Edward for a drink after work before heading home. As I walked I spotted Artillery Mansions, a glimpse of "another world" in the hustle and bustle of the city. I really love coming across these places!

Walking along Victoria Street, I passed the BERR office. Would you have known what it was without following the link? I hadn't a clue! It's just one of many new names for reorganised government departments, and last week, none of my colleagues (myself included) could identify the ministry who oversee Adult Education in England and Wales - click here and see if you were correct!

Sadly, I didn't have time to attend Evensong in Westminster Abbey, so I walked around Parliament Square, past Methodist Central Hall, and a little way up Whitehall, to stop by one of my favourite memorials in the city. I like the design of this monument very much indeed and think it says a great deal about those who are commemorated there.

Having met Edward at a deserted Palace of Westminster, we took advantage of the Parliamentary recess and stopped by the House of Commons, which was still open for visitors before gathering things from his office and heading off for a drink.

I had a seat booked on the 7.48pm train, so it was a short and sweet catch up over a bottle of wine and a bit of charcuterie and soon time to head for Paddington. (As I read in the magazine on the train, it's sweet to name a station after a bear, isn't it?) I didn't mind waiting a bit longer for the slightly delayed train though, for there was entertainment in the form of the Railway Band.



Thanks to the wonders of the internet and a small Sony camera, you can be entertained too!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home