An elegant sufficiency

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Unpacking - confession time!


First was the inspiration. We always seem to make our first stop at Barnes and Noble, wherever we land. After a long flight, there's nowhere quite like it for keeping us awake as long as possible!


Some things had been on my list for a while. Heaven knows what a customs man thinks when he opens up my suitcase to find so many bleach pens. This time, Tide-to-go was an additional find. I think there might be a more interesting use for it beyond removing stains? We will see.








Next on the list was to look at the Amy Butler bag patterns. Fortunately, that stop at Mood fabrics meant that I have a few bits of fabric to try.
















It's too much of a challenge to leave a yarn store empty handed - School Products (two hanks of laceweight cashmere), Seaport Yarns (four skeins of sock yarn) and Habu (two cones of ever-so-ever-so-fine yarn and the two ditzy bitzy oddments) all had plenty of temptation.






As did Purl, although there it was these small, hand held weaving looms which grabbed my attention. Sadly, on getting back to the hotel, I found both boxes empty, so they are posting them on the me. A variation on "have it sent round" perhaps?

(Entertainment of the day: spelling out my rather complicated address over a crackly cellphone line. I have confirmed by email in the hope that the odds of them arriving safely will be increased!)

Last but not least, Toho beads on 6th Avenue, where I planned another couple of Caterpillar bracelets.

(BTW, I hope the green dye comes out of the white starched linen tablecloth in the Upper East Side restaurant, after I returned to my place having washed my hands whilst wearing the original Caterpillar!)









Finally, the wonderful treasure shared amongst friends. Look what Jordi had collected for me! I promise to post the results of my dyeing session.

5 Comments:

  • Gill, Looks like you had a geat time in NY and some good shopping opportunities. I was looking at the Madison bag pattern too - should have asked you to have got me one too!

    Helen

    By Blogger Unknown, at 12:19 pm  

  • OOOOOOOOHHHHHHH...... Gill, I'm green! What a wonderful time and I love the look of that yarn shop....

    By Blogger Liz Plummer, at 5:06 pm  

  • like Liz - I am mso envious - the yarn looks great!

    Welcome back!

    By Blogger Jenny Bear, at 5:44 pm  

  • Ooh Gill. I want to go back to NY soon. Lovely shopping. What a good thing your DH still had extra room in his suitacase? I fancied those weaving looms. Very interesting.
    Welcome home.

    By Blogger Digitalgran, at 7:52 pm  

  • Ooh Lucky you, I am jealous just over your Barnes and Noble visit, I love that place
    looks like you brought home a god haul.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home