An elegant sufficiency

Monday, May 08, 2006

The Trellis Scarf


Here is the Trellis Scarf this morning.

After several attempts to get beyond row three of the second pattern repeat, I finally gave up.







I knew that knitting 7 together would be "a challenge", but to work into those 7 stitches three times in lace weight cashmere? Hmmm...the third time the yarn broke under the strain I knew that I had made a less than wise decision in my choice of pattern, choice of yarn or both.

The pattern states:
7 into 5 cluster: K7tog and leave these sts on the needle, yo, knit the same 7 sts tog again and leave them on the needle, yo, knit the same 7 sts tog once more and slip sts from needle - 7 sts dec'd into 5. In preparation for working the cluster, you may find it helpful to purl the 7 cluster sts very loosely on the previous row. If necessary, use a crochet hook in a size smaller than your main needles to help draw the loop through for each k7tog.


I didn't actually pull the whole thing out, but cast off the knitting so far, as evidence that I could knit that pattern, if I wanted to, but that I chose not to be faffed. Failure isn't a comfortable outcome in this household!

2 Comments:

  • What an intriguing and fiendish stitch. I couldn't work it out until I grabbed needles and yarn and tried it for myself. It's really pretty, isn't it, but I can absolutely see why it gave you so much grief. To be honest, until I actually executed it, I didn't think it was possible.

    Are you going to have another go with a different yarn?

    By Blogger MandellaUK, at 7:30 pm  

  • Yikes! Sounds extremely fiendish! Still, you have a very nice jam jar cosy there!

    By Blogger Seahorse, at 9:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home