An elegant sufficiency

Sunday, February 17, 2008

A bit later than everyone else


We work on a different timescale here and long after everyone else has read and raved about The Memory Keepers Daughter, it's the choice of my book group this week.
I find that I am resistant to the Richard and Judy* tide and far from encouraging me to read the titles with that sticker on the front, it actually puts me off. Can I be the only one who has no wish to be a packrat?
*I used the Wikipedia link to R & J because their own site is one of those annoying ones which won't let you go back. Not only that, the "bookclub" page is a sales site. I don't think they need my help in getting more business, do you?


Anyway, I spent much of yesterday engrossed in it and can only say if you haven't, you should.

Labels:

4 Comments:

  • YOur not the only one to be behind the trends, I am reading (and loving) this book too at the moment :)

    By Blogger Angela, at 2:35 pm  

  • I was resisting too. I think I bought it and let it languish. It was all the rage for a while so let me know when you are done if you still feel the same way. I did not like Kite Runner, thought it was predictable from page 1 what the story was and so I have started avoiding the hyped books.. The dumbing of America continues ...

    By Blogger jordi , at 3:26 pm  

  • Oh, I am so pleaed that I'm not the only one! I sometimes feel that the rest of the world is moving to a different tune!

    I wouldn't say the MKD is a challenging read, nor does it provide surprises or controversy - but it's well written, there are some very touching descriptions and it provokes a lot of the "what would I have done" kind of thoughts along the way. Generally speaking, I'm pleased I haven't had to make those kinds of decisions and was simply happy to read about the dilemmas from an outsider's point of view.

    By Blogger Gill, at 4:27 pm  

  • I liked this book a lot. A good friend has a Down's Syndrome sister who is now in her '50s. She was and is such an important part of their family and is loved by all. I couldn't help thinking about her as I read the book and felt so badly for the father and the decision he made to protect his wife that ended up destroying his family.

    By Blogger Terry Grant, at 5:45 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home