An elegant sufficiency

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Inspiration


The shoe shop in Menaggio had this curious pair of shoes on display, which the assistant referred to as "contraband shoes".

Not sure if she meant they were a bad copy of some designer trainers, or if they were made to conceal illicit goods, because of course, no-one would notice if you walked through customs wearing a pair like this, would they?

But aren't they great?









The streets of the small towns and villages around the lake are steep, many with steps (which wasn't great for my dear Mummy, who walks with a stick!) But wonderful inspiration with light and shade, glimpses of promised lands awaiting at the top of a long climb and such an evocative palette of colours.

I think I see a quilt here. Possibly a free-form log cabin?









Walking along the lakeside in Varenna, these little ferns grabbed my attention. No larger than two or three inches in size, they clung to the stones and spread beautifully across the surface. I felt they'd make a wonderful series of small embroideries, but have a feeling I've seen something similar before. Isn't it hard when that happens? Would hate to think anyone thought I'd been anything less than original!



Almost every time we hopped on a steamer, the first stop was Varenna, just across the lake. These little houses, clinging to the hillside shouted Paul Klee to me.

2 Comments:

  • Lovely photos, Gill. I've got some of those little ferns growing on my wall - I'll take a picture of them against the red brick and post it on my blog. And I love the view of those little houses!

    By Blogger Liz Plummer, at 7:42 pm  

  • Beautiful photos !
    this is Definitely a paul Klee view !

    By Blogger Unknown, at 8:08 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home